Thursday 29 November 2012

The sadness of Jihad Misharawi


A story that touched me.

Omar was a 11 month old infant.  The son of  Jihad Misharawi, who happens to be a BBC Arabic journalist.  Omar was tragically  killed.  The father’s question,

‘What did my son do to die like this?’  

He was killed by a shrapnel from Israeli fire in Gaza.   An unfair world for the people in Gaza.  This touched me, and it broke me inside.   The pain that Jihad must have gone through, and is still going through is unimaginable.  And on the other side of the divide you have the Israeli authorities who are responsible for this death, making flippant comments that it is all part of war.  A sad world we live in. 

Obviously, I think of Maya. I imagine Maya  being there and wonder how I would handle something of this nature.  The fate of Omar.  In that context, I salute Jihad.  That he has not taken this hatred beyond this point. And if he did, I would in no way hold him responsible for what he does.

I just wish that by the time Maya is of age, war will be something she only learns of in a history class.  And that she will see it with disdain and detestation and loath the thought of it.  

As for Omar, I desperately do wish, that there is a place called heaven (even though I am an anti-theist).  Not for the 'religious and righteous'  fraudsters,  but for Omar.   Just for Omar.  He did nothing to die like this.  And for that, he deserves a place called heaven, just created for him.  If you want to know of this story above,  go to,


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-20340810

No comments:

Post a Comment